Teresinia
bowed her head, covering her face with a hand, struggling to maintain
herself. She wanted to laugh. She often reacted this way when anger
was passed. She still had to find the Captain. She was also certain
word of this confrontation would spread like wildfire. Whatever
mischief her brother had been about would be cleansed.
Teresinia struggled to gain control of herself. While laughing openly never concerned her, in this instance she really would prefer some decorum, given the circumstances. Taking a deep breath, she suppressed the laughter that was attempting to escape and stood straight again. The strain around her nose and lips gave away the struggle for control she was still waging with herself. A few more deep breaths and she felt she could manage, if only barely. She dropped her hands and noticed Abbie standing quietly nearby, looking a little strained in her own right. She shook her head, not daring to smile lest she lose what control she had regained.
Her voice tightly controlled she said, “Well Abbie. Shall we go on and find the Captain? I am certain he has been warned of what went on here and is possibly even now searching for me. Are we both in control of ourselves? Are we ready?”
Abbie replied, “As close to ready as I can be, my Lady. As for the Captain, I believe that is himself entering the bay even as we speak.” She watched him for a moment, “He does look rather concerned. More apprehensive, I think.”
Teresinia looked up, schooling her face into an impassive mask, watching as the very proper old Prussian ship Captain approached. She knew him well, and he her. If the crew had reported her rather pointed discussion with the Chief Engineer, and she had no doubt they had done, he would be under no illusions as to what her reaction had been. Very well. Since she was owner aboard, and quite capable of piloting the ship herself, thanks to this very same man's instruction, she determined not to expound upon the incident and to carry on as she normally would.
She smiled as he approached, “Good afternoon, Captain. I've come to see to the preparations and to look into projects of my own. I was going to consult with you on the matter of passengers aboard, as well as crew requirements and status. I have already met the Chief Engineer and I think he and I understand one another. Will you accompany me to my cabin? I would prefer more comfortable surroundings than the cargo bay, if you do not mind.”
Captain Karl Zeiner was a tall, powerful man, upright, with a military bearing that only Prussians could manage. He watched her as he approached, approving of the control she was exerting, although he could see the evidence of laughter in the twinkle of her eyes. “My Lady Ravenstone. Welcome aboard, of course. I shall be pleased to escort you and your maid-servant to your cabin. In truth, I was expecting you. I am sorry I was not timely in preparing the crew for your arrival and official assumption of ownership.” He flashed a smile, “Preparations are proceeding apace. As soon as all mundane matters concerning the estate are dealt with and done, we can take aboard the perishables and prepare for departure.”
They walked down the decking, away from the bridge and toward the port side, making for a cabin on which a name plate gleamed. Lady Teresinia Ravenstone, it read. She looked at it for a moment, seeing her father's name there as it had always been before. His cabin was now hers.
Captain Zeiner opened the door for her, allowing the ladies to enter, then stepped through himself, closing the door behind. He watched the women as they stood and surveyed the cabin, waiting...
No comments:
Post a Comment